Tynemouth and District Electric Tramways
The Tyneside and District Electric Traction Co Ltd was a subsidiary of the much larger British Electric Traction Company Ltd (BET), a concern which at its zenith either owned, part-owned or leased almost 50 tramway concerns across the British Isles. The photos below clearly show Tynemouth staff wearing the familiar and largely regulation BET uniform. Although jackets appeared to vary somewhat between BET systems, as well as across the decades, the cap badges, collar designations and buttons invariably followed a standard pattern.
The tunic was a double-breasted, cross-over style, with two rows of five buttons and upright collars; the latter carried individual letters on the right-hand side (probably ’T D E T’, though these cannot be made out on the photos below) and an employee number on the left, all presumably brass.
Caps were military in style with a glossy peak, and carried a standard brass BET ‘Magnet & Wheel’ badge (see below) above an employee number.
Inspectors most probably wore a single-breasted jacket with hidden buttons and upright collars bearing ‘Inspector’ in embrodiered script lettering. The standard ‘Magnet & Wheel’ cap badge was probably worn, but with a script-lettering ‘Inspector’ badge in place of the usual employee number.
Conductor and motorman posing with Tramcar No 3 at Whitley Bay in 1915. Image kindly supplied by Beamish Museum Limited (see link), image copyright Beamish Museum Limited.
Conductor and Motorman (No 3) posing on the steps of their tramcar - date unknown. Note that the conductor is not wearing an employee number on either his cap or his left-hand collar; instead, the latter bears a standard BET ‘Magnet & Wheel’ badge. Image kindly supplied by Beamish Museum Limited (see link), image copyright Beamish Museum Limited.
Standard British Electric Traction Company ‘Magnet & Wheel’ cap badge - brass